Here’s we what learned today.
• CARSON WENTZ UPDATE: My overall impression of Wentz was that he looked locked in. He was delivering accurate passes all over the field. His most noteworthy throw was a completion 25 yards down the field to a leaping Nelson Agholor. The ball went just over the outstretched defenders’ arm and right to Nelly. During his post-practice press conference, Wentz looked much more relaxed than last year when he was clearly annoyed/frustrated by all the injury questions.
• EAGLES INJURY UPDATE: The Eagles’ injury situation is too long to recap here so [CLICK HERE] for a full breakdown.
• Miles Sanders made a good impression during his first practice with the entire team. He took a carry up the middle, juked some unblocked defenders (who, in fairness, can’t actually tackle him), and burst into an opening for a long run. Just one play but it’s clear that he has some juice.
• Some lineup notes: Halapoulivaati Vaitai is still at first team right guard with Brooks not doing team drill yet.
Avonte Maddox and Rasul Douglas were the first team outside cornerbacks with Ronald Darby and Jalen Mills not practicing. Maddox shifted to the slot and Sidney Jones came in to play the outside when the Eagles went to their nickel defense. (Jones did take at least a rep or two in the slot with Maddox on the outside, as well.) So, if/when Mills and Darby are both back, it’s looking like Jones is the fifth corner ... at best. Things can change but that’s the outlook right now.
• Andrew Sendejo made the first big play of camp by picking off Nate Sudfeld. The veteran safety read the backup quarterback all the way and jumped a route to get the interception.
• Sudfeld had two nice throws to Marken Michel, who impressed during spring workouts. Sudfeld rolled right and found Michel down the field on his first completion to the former CFL wide receiver. Then he later hit a contested Michel on a crossing route for a solid gain. Sudfeld still takes longer to throw than you’d ideally like at times, which is something that BGN’s Benjamin Solak really highlighted in camp last year.
• Nothing too great from Clayton Thorson. He overthrew an open Braxton Miller deep down the field.
• Josh Sweat notched a coverage “sack” on Thorson.
• Josh Adams is hardly known for being a pass catcher but the Eagles quarterbacks did target him a decent amount.
• Special teams notes: Darren Sproles, Boston Scott, Donnel Pumphrey were back field punts. In addition to those guys, DeAndre Thompkins and Nelson Agholor also acted like punt returners in a simulated return/blocking drill. The rookie Thompkins put a move on someone that earned a fist bump from Pumphrey and an “Oooh, I like that!” from either a player or a coach. Thompkins averaged a quality 10.2 yards per punt return at Penn State. He also had two punt return touchdowns.
Adams whiffed bad while trying to block Sanders. Dave Fipp took him aside to fix what went wrong there.
Shelton Gibson got a good jam on Cre’Von LeBlanc. That effort earned a high five from Eagles assistant wide receiver coach (and former special teams assistant coach) Matthew Harper.
Remember, special teams contributions matter for bottom of the roster guys like Adams and Gibson.
• Former Eagles head coach Dick Vermeil attended practice today.
• Leave a caption for this picture in the comments:
Up next: Right back at it tomorrow with another Eagles training camp practice. Friday’s start time is set for 9:15 AM ET. Stay tuned to BGN, as always.